XSD Qualification

Can someone point mw to all the explanations on qualification of global (easy) and local (bizarre) elements and attributes.

I have been reading the W3C site and although i understand how to implement them, there really aren't any good examples of "why" and "when". Furthmore, any resource i ind dives quickly around the subject, basiclly repeating what is in the spec, but not really giving any concrete examples on WHY and WHEN.

So, when would you use elementFormDefault="unqualified", "qualified" etc... and how does this really affect the instance it is declared in? I.E - the child of a globally qualified element (easy to understand) is qualified and unqualified for what reasons?

Help here would be good, coz although i can do it, i have not yet seen any good examples.

thanks,
steven