RE: load DTD in memory.

Well, here is a sample class for a in-memory entity cache (it will therefore
cache DTDs). It is a dumb cache, because if the original DTD changes, the
cache is not refreshed, but for many cases it is sufficient. We have
implemented a much more flexible caching framework, but here it's out of
scope.

import java.net.*;
import java.util.*;
import org.xml.sax.*;

public class DTDMemoryCache implements EntityResolver {
    private Map cache=new HashMap();

    // Remember to handle synchronization issues !!
    // A dumb but easy implementation would synchronize the whole
    // resolveEntity method
    public synchronized InputSource resolveEntity(String publicIdP,String
systemIdP) throws SAXException {
        // The PUBLIC id is the key to our cache
        byte[] resultP=cache.get(publicIdP);

        if(resultP==null) {
            try {
			// The SYSTEM id is the URL used to fetch the entity
			URL urlP=new URL(systemIdP);
			InputStream isP=urlP.openConnection();
			ByteArrayOutputStream baosP=new
ByteArrayOutputStream();

			// We copy the input stream into the output stream
			// Fast buffer implementation
			// I could have used BufferInputStream and
OutputStream
			// But it's much slower
			int readP;
			byte[] bufferP=new byte[1024];
			while((readP=isP.read(bufferP))>-1) {
				baosP.write(bufferP,0,readP);
			}

			resultP=baosP.toByteArray();

			// We store the result in the cache.
			cache.put(publicIdP,resultP);
            }
            catch(Exception eP) {
                throw new SAXException(eP);
            }
        }

        return new InputSource(new ByteArrayInputStream(resultP));
    }
}

Now, how to install this EntityResolver ? Both the org.xml.sax.Parser and
the javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilder have a setEntityResolver() method that
enables you to install your own EntotyResolver before parsing your
documents.

Regards,
Nicolas