Sun and independent developers

To whom it may concern..

A few months ago a document [1] appeared entitled "Java APIs for XML RPC." I
sent an email to Anne Thomas-Manes, strenuously objecting. The document
didn't point to XML-RPC [2], although it attempts to survey the landscape in
XML-over-HTTP protocols. XML-RPC was the first such protocol, and arguably
is the most used, with 45 implementations [3] (including Java), a frozen
spec, and a very active developer community.

Their lawyers got in the loop and claimed that they had the right to confuse
developers and users, however, as a "courtesy to Dave Winer," they changed
the document and the crisis was over. Yesterday Paul Nakada [4] discovered
that the document is back in its original form, with support from lots of
well-known companies. This is disturbing. It isn't about me, forget the
courtesy, try self-respect, and support for independent developers.

There are so many reasons for the XML-RPC community to work with Sun. We
could help them stay in the market if they just worked with us -- instead
they pick on us. Unbelievable. They just must not be thinking strategically
at Sun. Maybe this could get the conversation going about how to strengthen
Java to preserve developer choice. It's really quite simple. Just ask and
we'll help you.

BTW, I got an email from Anne saying she had left Sun to work at Idoox.
Perhaps that has something to do with this reversal.

Bottom-line, if you work at Sun, or work at one of their partner companies,
especially if your company is listed as a supporter on that page [1], get in
touch with the people responsible for this work and ask them to get in touch
with the XML-RPC community. Instead of trying to roll us over (why?) -- work
with us. We want a multi-party system. We don't want to get in the trunk
with Microsoft. We want our independence, and for that, we want to see Java
stay strong. The term XML-RPC means something. Respect that, and enhance it.
Thanks for listening.

Dave Winer
UserLand Software

[1] http://jcp.org/jsr/detail/101.jsp