RE: Sun and independent developers

> Part of the problem here is that Dave Winer picked a very generic
> name for a very specific technology. He invented one language for
> embedding remote procedure calls in XML and called it XML-RPC.
> Sun seems to be using "XML RPC" in a much more generic sense.

Elliotte,

What you are saying also applies to XML, HTML and other "languages".

I mean, what can be more generic than XML (eXtensible Markup Language)?
Or more generic than HTML (HyperText Markup Language)?

So, why, again, should one not use XML-RPC as the name of something
that is an RPC protocol which uses XML???

OTOH, is it right for me to call "HTML" to new Markup Language for
Hypertext systems just because it is such a generic name???

Just because I don't like the old-HTML, can I trash it and make a new
language one with just the same name?

Elliotte, your argument goes against current practice. (*)

Have fun,
Paulo Gaspar

(*)I sure prefer "current practice" to confusing situations as what
is happening with RSS.