RE: Sun and independent developers

> I don't think so. The analogous case would be if either of these
> were called simply "Markup Language" or perhaps "ML". Both HTML
> and XML were invented after long experience with many different
> markup languages so no one presumed that they would be the only
> one or the last one.

Are you sure? SGML was there before, but how long was the
experience with - specifically - hypertext markup languages before
HTML popped up?

There were not so many Hypertext systems before HTML and I wonder
how many of them used a markup language.

> XML Schemas and XML-RPC, by contrast, were
> out the gate relatively early. It's not clear that their
> inventors gave serious thought to the idea that they might not be
> the only such language. If they had, then they might have picked
> less generic names.

LOL
Sure, the guy that started XML-RPC, Dave Winer, was just involved
on... lets see... SOAP. Just take a look at the names in the 1.1
version of the SOAP specification. There is one at:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnsoapsp/ht
ml/soapspec.asp

Try to get informed Elliotte.

Have fun,