Re: Bad News on IE6 XML Support

Joshua Allen wrote:

>>http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform
>>namespace. This is about two years too late, but
>>

>As opposed to Netscape, which still does not ship with XSLT support, and
>even the Mozilla tool (last time I checked) which does allow XSLT to be
>used does *not* support any form of CSS?  At least IE has been capable

Actually, Netscape 6.1 does ship with XSLT support. There are some
quirks, but I believe these are pointed out in the release notes.
Embedded CSS is not supported in the document generated by XSLT
processing, but the workaround is to use external stylesheets.

I am pretty sure Netscape 6.1 has better support for CSS than any other
browser out there.

>>Microsoft still labors under the illusion that there
>>is a MIME media type text/xsl. IE does not recognize
>>the actual MIME types text/xml and
>>application/xml+xslt as identifying XSL stylesheets.
>>

>As http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xsl-editors/1999JulSep/0016.html
>shows, this was in the spec not long before it was released.  People
>needed *some* way to associate a transform with an XML document, and
>this was the best we could do at that time.  In fact, it is the best
>that anyone has ever done, as far as I can tell.  Again, last I checked
>the only other browser that even supported this (the unsupported plugin
>for Mozilla), was quite happy to accept text/xsl as well.  I have

One of the reason text/xsl is supported in Mozilla and NS 6.1 is because
that is what works with Microsoft products

I believe support for the other mime types is going to be added soon but
is not yet in Mozilla or NS 6.1.

--
  Heikki Toivonen