RE: Bad News on IE6 XML Support

Hello Bjorn,

Bjorn said:
Yes? Sounds cool. How is this supposed to work? Is there some new web
service XSLT transfer protocol that provides this information? I thought
all information the server has are those in the HTTP request and they
certainly don't carry these information.

Didier replies:
Yes true, CC/PP is not implemented yet and therefore the request transaction
does not include a capabilities record. However, as Cocoon and several other
server on the market demonstrated, it is possible to recognize the user
agent by parsing and processing the HTTP header "user-agent". Thus, it is
possible to recognize the requesting user agent and let the server decide if
the transformation is to occur on the server side or the client side. So the
answer is yes. It is possible to extract the information form the HTTP
header as long as you process it.

Didier said:
>If yes, the process can occur at the edge or at the client site.
>Otherwise at the server side. As more client support XSLT transformation,
>less server load you'll have. Is using a 1 ghz client to perform dummy
>rendering a best way to use resources?

Bjorn replied:
Maybe, maybe not. Why does this matter?

Didier replies:
I though you would see why. But again, I just learn for the Nth time how to
spell the word assume. I'll recap and do some math's.
a) a transformation takes 1 second to transform a document
b) you get simultaneous 1000 hits on your server. Therefore the processing
time reserved for transformation is: 1 X 1000 = 1000 seconds.
c) if the transformation occurs on the server side, this same server just
got its workload increased especially if the processed XML document is
dynamically produced by a server side script.
d) if the transformation occurs on the client side, then the server has 1000
seconds available to do something else like for instance, dynamically
produce the XML documents or perform server side aggregation on the same XML
documents.

Didier PH Martin