[xml-dev] can dtds be extended?

Hi,
I am using a published DTD (PMML) and need to add attributes to one of the
elements. Is there any way I can do this, ie, extend the DTD in a way such
that I can include extra information for my needs while still conforming to
the published standard? For example, is there any way I can overwrite an
element or attlist in an xml doc with a new one of the same name with more
attributes? Can I reference 2 DTD's an include a smaller "DTD addition" with
my xml? Is there any way to support inheritance in XML?
thanks,
matt