Re: [xml-dev] can dtds be extended?

Kinda Sorta.

You'll have to use an "Internal Subset" to do this.
Here's an example:

---standard.dtd---
<!ELEMENT E (#PCDATA)* >
<!ATTLIST E
   a CDATA #REQUIRED >
------------------

Now say you wanted to include or inherit this DTD, but add a 'b' attribute
on the 'E' element. Your instance document might look like:

---------------------
<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<!DOCTYPE E SYSTEM "standard.dtd" [
   <!ATTLIST E b CDATA #IMPLIED >
]>
<E
   a="i am a required attribute"
   b="I am an new attribute
/>

If things end up getting too complicated, you can use External Parameter
Entities to do much the same thing, and more.

-Wayne Steele