RE: [xml-dev] Re: XML Schema ?

I suppose there's nothing in the text of the spec that contradicts this, but
while looking at the definition of restriction for simpleType, each particle
may be optional but the content model must be present. In the spec
restriction content model is defined as follows:

(annotation?, (simpleType?, (minExclusive | minInclusive | maxExclusive |
maxInclusive | totalDigits | fractionDigits | length | minLength | maxLength
| enumeration | whiteSpace | pattern)*))

Again notice that each particle is optional but the content model itself is
not. Without even considering XML Schema, would the following be valid XML?

DTD fragment:
<!ELEMENT A (B?, C?, D?)>

XML document fragment:
<A></A>

If the answer is yes, then I will accept using an empty restriction as a
pseudo type alias, otherwise I would not. I've looked thru the XML spec and
was not able to find a definitive answer on this. At this point my guess
would be yes it is valid, but I'm not 100% sure and would like to be.

Greg