Re: [xml-dev] The Semantic Web: An Introduction

Hi Sean

I read your article and it seems to be a good summary of all things
'Semantic Web'.

XML is increasingly widespread on the web these days, we can do google, RSS,
stock quotes, call Web Services and do many other XML based queries now. So
one of the aims of the SW is being realised, data is available on the web
rather than hidden in HTML.

Though I don't see RDF being used much, if at all, in the trenches. Most SW
papers I've read seems to assume people will start putting their data in RDF
rather than HTML, though I've yet to read a convincing argument of why
anyone should go to all that trouble . Putting data in XML seems enough for
most use cases. The world has hardly gone XTHML yet so I really can't see
RDF taking off in a big way any time soon unless a really good argument (or
killer product) comes along. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.

Are there Semantic Web efforts out there to assume the worst case, that data
is available in 'just' XML along with maybe some kind of schema (DTD /
RelaxNG / XML Schema), and to just adorn and work with that, rather than
wait for the world to go RDF? Or to generate RDF given an instance XML
document based on an XSLT / XPath / Schematron kind of mechanism?

James