Re: [xml-dev] Adding two numbers

Gordon Stewart wrote

> Can someone tell me how to add two numbers together and put the result
into
> a varialbe. Then use that variable to add another number to it.

Gordon,

I presume you are referring to an XSLT transformation?  If so the logic you
describe is not available in the usual sense.  This is because XSLT is a
"functional" language designed to have no side-effects.  Changing the value
of a variable would introduce a possible side-effect and is therefore not
permitted.

However, you can normally achieve the same end result using recursion
instead of variable assignment.  Resources that may be helpful:
- Jeni Tennison's XSLT pages [1]
- Dave Pawson's XSLT FAQ [2]
- The XSLT mailing list [3]

Regards