RE: [xml-dev] RE: Namespaces Best Practice

Composition of information from multiple sources was one of the important
arguments in favor of the namespace declaration mechanism we currently have.

For example, suppose I'm incorporating a list of things into my document,
and each member of the list is an element coming from a different piece of
software, or from a different document.  With the current mechanisms, each
respondent is able to provide me with an element that's closed over its
prefixes (in other words, for every prefix that appears in that element,
there can be a namespace attribute at the element's open tag).  In fact, if
this list is at the end of the document, I don't even need to remember what
namespaces were active in the enclosing document - just the prefix for the
end tag of the root element.

If, on the other hand, I were to insist on requirement 1, then I can't
release any of the document until I've seen the whole thing, because I don't
know (necessarily) what namespaces will show up in the list, so I need to be
ready to update the root element after the list has arrived.  I'll also need
(potentially) to rewrite large portions of the document to normalize the
namespace prefixes used everywhere.  So 1) is not generally good for
application development.

I don't understand 2), as it seems (to me) to confuse qualified and
prefixed.  Any name in a namespace is qualified, but not necessarily
prefixed, i.e., all prefixed names are qualified, but not all qualified
names are prefixed.  I'm not sure if 2 is talking about prefixed or
qualified anywhere.

Matthew