[xml-dev] using schemas

hi

I have created an xml file and a schema to go with it. the trouble is i'm
not sure how you get the xml to validate against the schema i have created.

i have tried calling it in my xml like a dtd - <!DOCTYPE transactions SYSTEM
"trans.xsd">
but it comes up with the error -

'An XML element is not allowed inside a DTD. Error processing resource
'file:///C:/XMLexamples/trans.xsd'. Line 2, Position 1

<xsd:schema xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema">
^'

at the top of my schema i have put -

'<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<xsd:schema xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema">'

Can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong, as i know how to validate againts
a dtd but doing it against a schema, i am not sure

thanks

Ian