Re: [xml-dev] %x;? - Opportunity for pedantry and exegesis

Rob Lugt wrote:

> The OASIS/Nist conformance suite [1] contains many tests that check (a) PE
> token expansion and (b) the grammar checking for content models (with
> specific tests for misplaced multiplicity operators), so I think it unlikely
> that any of the major XML processors would allow this through.

I tried the following short document

{!DOCTYPE a SYSTEM "test.dtd"}
{a}{z}{/z}{y}{/y}{/a}

with the DTD

{!ENTITY % x "z"}
{!ENTITY % a.content  "(%x;?, y)" }
{!ELEMENT a %a.content; }
{!ELEMENT z (#PCDATA)*}
{!ELEMENT y (#PCDATA)*}

(with curly braces for angle brackets to avoid mailer mangling).

The ElCel validator says the file is valid.

IE 5.5 says it isn't, with the error message:

Invalid character in content model. Line 1, Position 5

( z ?, y)
----^

Is this a known bug? I couldn't find it in the knowledge base on MSDN. Does this mean
nobody has looked at XHTML documents with IE 5.5 and tried to validate them? Or am I
missing something?

Lauren

Lauren Wood, Director of Product Technology, SoftQuad Software
Chair, XML 2001 - Information at www.xmlconference.org