[xml-dev] %x;? - Opportunity for pedantry and exegesis

Consider the following content model fragment:

 %x;?

as in <!ELEMENT a (%x;?, y)>

It has been argued to me that this can't possibly
ever be well-formed per a careful reading of the XML
spec, and the arguments look correct to me.

See production [48] and section 4.4.8.

of course <!ELEMENT a ((%x;)?, y)> works.

I've been told that the XHTML DTDs would suffer
if this is true.

It would be really nice if I'm wrong on this.  Or
if everyone had already noticed and were working
around it.  -Tim