RE: [xml-dev] Has W3C run its course? (Was: Has XML run its cours e?)

That is policy formulation, Rick: the means of choosing choices.

I agree totally with your points, but consider that policy formulation
has short term and long term objectives.  In the short term, policy
will and has to be to identify, find and erase those responsible for the
atrocities committed this month.  That is non-negotiable.

In the long term, we'd best consider well what you say. The history you
cite, that
of The Great Game, as Kipling called it, illustrates the failure of a
policy based on isolation and export of culture by force.  It failed.
Yet economic support does not always change a local culture or a global one,
at
least not in the short term.  Wide and open communication does not
prevent emnity, it can in fact, make it worse.   No single policy
changes world events in the short term enough to prevent the kinds
of acts we have witnessed.  It is however, possible in the short
term to create local effects that can trend toward larger changes,
and economics, communication, understanding leading to verifiable
trust, these are part of that solution.   We must be aware of the
policy, and we must be aware of the goals of policy.  The American
goal to use the Afghanistan conflict to defeat the Soviets had
predictable results.  We chose our goals badly and thus our policy
fed back terrible results.  The British policy of empire first was
just as moronic, but given the time, would the British people have
accepted any other and should the authority of the time resorted
to force to make them accept it?   Who is choosing here?

Has the W3C run its course?  Not quite yet.  It may be in the
last laps because of uncertain goals and thus, incoherent policy.

We might do well to understand and try to affect W3C policy with
regards to multiple groups with overlapping tasks.  I think that
is what the architecture group is for, but again, one has to question
the closed aspects of that and inquire if they serve us well.  So
I ask, what short term policies would we change if we could change
them at the W3C to better the situation for XML?

This thread is troubling because we do need such organizations just as
we have needed ISO to ensure that the right kind of people are
communicating and formulating policy.   An organization based
on a single technical director was doomed from the start.  It
met certain goals of certain groups and the policies were set
accordingly.  It was driving so many developments through
a single initiative that lead to the complexity we see today.
Still, many here wanted exactly that and reduced other choices
accordingly.

<offtopic>Want to do a positive small thing?  Go to your local Indian,
Pakistani, Muslim, etc restaurant tonight and buy a meal.  Their
business is slow too.  Go to the Asian grocery store and pick
up a copy of Pandit Ravi Shankar's "The Spirit of Freedom
Concerts" CD and luxuriate in the peace of the morning ragas.

A little bit of effort in that direction
does help us remember who we are in spite of the efforts of
some to make us forget and act as if we were them instead.

len