Re: [xml-dev] Has XML run its course?

On Mon, 2001-10-01 at 11:20, Christian Nentwich wrote:

> > Yeah, that's the uninspiring definition.
> >
> > I find "a syntax for structuring and labeling information" a lot more
> > interesting.  Application-specific is so, well, application-specific.
> >
> > I'd like to think there's a lot more value in reusing content in
> > unexpected ways than in just managing information for a particular
> > application.
>
> Then you will have to provide a business case for that.. The, well,
> application-specific stuff seems to work quite nicely on the other hand
> :)

Hmmm.... anecdotal statements of that business case are a pretty common
theme heard among people who have implemented more than one
"application".  That case also seems to have been one of the driving
forces behind XML 1.0's initial creation.

For "a lot more", I should probably have written "a lot of additional",
but that doesn't seem especially exciting to people find business cases
the exciting part of technology.

I suspect that case has just gotten lost in the noise, perhaps
permanently.

--
Simon St.Laurent
"Every day, in every way, I'm getting better and better." - Emile Coue