RE: [xml-dev] storing XML files

Albena:

Whether you need a native XML database or whether the XML capabilities
of the RDBMS systems will be sufficient is all dependent upon the type
of data you're dealing with and the application.

If the documents are going to be sufficiently small (less than a few
hundred KB of raw XML each), or can be quickly partitioned using XSLT to
be sufficiently small, their schemas do not change often (i.e. the feeds
you are receiving hold pretty much to a fixed schema), and being able to
do fast queries across large document sets is NOT a requirement (i.e.
you've got 1000+ stock quote documents, but you do not need to query
over them as an aggregate), then the XML capabilities of the RDBMS
vendors should be sufficient.  Microsoft's SQL Server is the furthest
ahead in terms of XML support and is the only RDBMS vendor at present to
support incremental updates to XML documents via update grams.  Oracle
9i's XML support is really limited with their new vaunted "XMLType"
column data type being nothing more than a convenience wrapper around
the CLOB type: XML still gets stored as a blob.  Keep in mind, however,
that each RDBMS vendors approach to handling XML is going to be
proprietary: you will have little to no code or knowledge portability.

A major advantage of native XML DB systems (save for Software AG's
Tamino which still uses a proprietary query language and schema dialect,
among other non-standard things) is their adherence to standards.
Queries are XPath, transformations are XSLT, granular access to document
data is via the standard DOM API, validation can be against DTD or W3C
XML Schema, etc.  You gain a bit more in terms of code portability as
well as knowledge portability between different vendors.  You also gain
a database system inherently designed to deal with the extensibility of
XML data and capable of removing the scalability, performance, ease of
data update, and cross-document limitations of the RDBMS approach.

I would recommend you give native XML databases a try (eXcelon's
Extensible Information Server is available for free 30-day download from
our homepage at www.exceloncorp.com and is an enterprise-class, fully
transactional native XML database... there are others out there, of
course, with a good description of each found at
http://www.rpbourret.com/xml/XMLDatabaseProds.htm), but also thoroughly
investigate the capabilities of the RDBMS vendors, especially Microsoft
SQL Server.  The reason most XML applications are converting to native
XML databases is that they've tried to make their applications work with
RDBMS systems and they failed (your application example here is very
similar to a problem faced by one of our own customers, SwissRe
Insurance... they started with Oracle, ended up with eXcelon).  If you
get yours to work well with an RDBMS (and of course, there are those
that work just fine), then you really don't need a native XML DB.

Hope this helps,
Chris

Chris Parkerson
Product Manager - XML Platform