RE: [xml-dev] Re: W3C ridiculous new policy on patents

Thanks Jeff.  I was handed a paper copy by a
RedHat employee and have never seen the online
copy.

Yes.  This is a long article but it explores a lot of
the issues.  My fault with the author is that
he has difficulty understanding that the web
per se is not a commons but an amalgamation
of different contributions from different
contributors which unfortunately have historically
been attributed to a single owner.  Private
interests and public profits are also a working
model.  He understands
that the original work was done at DARPA, BBN,
etc. but doesn't account for future contributions
fusing into that whole.  As I said, the owner must
decide to grant land use rights.  All a patent
policy is is exactly that:  the terms under which
contributing parties negotiate in the W3C.

A bazaar doesn't have to be a ghetto, but without
profits, it becomes that quite quickly.

len