RE: [xml-dev] RDDL in ZIP

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Rick Jelliffe [mailto:ricko@allette.com.au]
> Sent: 08 October 2001 10:58
> To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
> Cc: 'Jonathan Borden'
> Subject: [xml-dev] RDDL in ZIP

[... excellent RDDL suggestion snipped ...]

>  1) A RDDL document currently does not have anyway to tell you
>     what namespace it is for: the assumption is that you must have
>     accessed the URL to get it, so you already know.  However
>     we need to be able to ask the RDDL archive "what namespace
>     are you for?"

Are you assuming one zip = one RDDL directory? As a complement to
xml:base, how about something akin to the Manifest files [1] that are
associated
with java archives [2]? These an be plain text, or a simple xml format.

One might then have a zip containing >1 RDDL directory. There are other
advantages for Java users as well, e.g. a ready made API, versioning, etc.
I don't think any of this necessarily adds a great burden for none Java
users either.

One could query the manifest information to see what is inside the zip
file.

>   2) There does not seem to be a clear way to associate a script
>      with an element or attribute name.  We need something by
>      which we can say "if you want to edit an eg:person, run this
>      JavaScript" or "if you want to view a cals:table, run this
>      TCL script".

To play devils advocate, is this necessarily a RDDL feature?

Cheers,

L.

[1]. http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.2/docs/guide/jar/manifest.html
[2]. http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/guide/jar/jar.html

--
Leigh Dodds, Research Group, Ingenta | "Pluralitas non est ponenda
http://weblogs.userland.com/eclectic |    sine necessitate"