RE: [xml-dev] Re: W3C ridiculous new policy on patents

I understand it.  If those who are well-funded and
use open source can support it by licensing patented
technologies, they will continue as other businesses
do.  It is very tough on the typical independent developer,
thus my reference to "underfunded" because they are
the ones most hurt by licensing royalties.  The RedHats
of the world, heck even the James Clarks, can afford
to pay the licenses but they are not typical, no doubt.

Stating that open source and patents are incompatible
says that open source may be only as attractive
as holders of patents are willing to grant RF RAND
or the open software developers can provide legal alternatives.
That is the same for businesses everywhere.  Legal
alternatives mean increased effort and cost.  This will slow
down open source.  Some think that the goal of
non-RF RAND.  My opinion is that it is a side effect
of a bad business model.  I've never convinced my
mortgage company to grant an interest free loan.

But no amount of debate is going to stop the rush
to get more patents.  So a sound policy must be
instituted.

len