RE: [xml-dev] XML 2.0 Specifications and working groups

On Friday, October 12, 2001 8:08 AM, David Lyon wrote:

> Since XML 1.0 has been with us for around 4 years, it seems
> to me that it may well be time that some specifications for version 2.0
start
> to take place.

I'm sure there's a logical reason for this opinion, but I cannot seem to
come up with one.
Just because something is mature doesn't mean its time for an upgrade.

> Back to business though, I've spoken with a lot of business
> users and they are saying that they would like a more lightweight, faster
> and smaller beast than XML Version 1.0 has become.

XML Version 1.0 hasn't changed (aside from some errata corrections) since
February 1998.
How has it become such a big beast?

> Reliability and interoperability have proved problems in the
> eyes of some people also. Many of these issues could be resolved in
version 2.0.

XML is not a protocol - it has nothing to do with reliability.  XML is,
obviously, quite interoperable.

> I'm interested in hearing from anybody with an interest in
> working on the XML 2.0 specification as well as those who may be
interested in
> sponsoring the efforts.

The closest thing to another version of XML these days might be Blueberry
[1].  Blueberry intends to provide broader Unicode support.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-blueberry-req