RE: [xml-dev] Cutting special deals for open source developers -- noway!

Good question.  Why was XML created as a subset and attempt to
improve ISO SGML?  Why was it done under the aegis of a commercial
consortium instead of SGML Open or even ISO, or at IBM where
much of the original development was done and a fat patent
could have been granted?  Who gets to say, "This group
governs but this other group is too old and too slow to
manage its own works?"  Spy vs Spy.

Who decides?  No one.  They just duke it out or they
cooperate.  What about the "lone hacker", the Apple myth?

It is romantic but wrong.  Patent holders often have to fight for
their lives when large consortia and companies squeeze
the profits out of them by denying them access to various
other sources of revenue.   Others such as the MPEG group
band together and have patent pools.  They are wildly
successful.  What if the W3C instituted a policy that
patents on work done at the W3C would be held in common
and profits divided among holding members?  Who would
benefit?  Who would get hurt?

As far as I can tell, the argument against encumbered specifications
is that the W3C has little power against its own members to control
their use of the patenting process, so their most viable alternative
is to have a policy that refuses any patented technology or work that
might involve it.  As I said before, it will be a moral position
and it will limit their scope.  The patenting process will keep
on increasing in volume until the laws are changed.   But to what?
Without the patent process, what constraints are there on the
W3C or other organizations to rob the poor and give to the rich
who by dint of membership have all the early access to the information
and by dint of size, can crush any other individual or organization
working in the field but unwilling or unable to join the W3C?

This isn't a simple problem.  It demands clear policy and something
will have to give for that to be formulated.  I doubt anyone will
be completely happy with the results.

len