RE: [xml-dev] More patent funnies!

When I first started following this thread, I thought Len was being naive
about software patents, or just looking for a good argument.

But I've come to think he's actually right about this: "RF Only" is perhaps
too inflexible for the real world. "RAND" is (at least around these parts)
intolerable.

I would like to see discussion about when it's acceptable for patents to
intersect with W3C work, what is an acceptable resolution in these cases,
and who decides?

"RAND" means "Lets talk about patents later, and I promise we won't single
you out to get screwed".

I think most of us agree that more talking about patents as soon as the
issue comes up is a good thing, not a bad one.

As Len put it, "broad exhaustive review".

Maybe there is some rare case where a patent on software technology really
is a reasonable reward for a brilliant and useful invention. How do we draw
the lines so we can tell (Hint: not by accepting the USPTO actions as final
or even informed) ?

-Wayne Steele