RE: [xml-dev] More patent funnies!

I agree to most of that.  But does vendor neutral
mean vendors collectively and by consensus can
choose a patented technology?  Of course they can.

Under what conditions will they?  That is the nut of it.

The W3C has a charter, it has members
and it has policies to govern its actions and
its decisions.  That the members act in
accordance with a broader goal, a moral goal,
this is certainly good for its reputation, it is
good for them.  No argument. Acting in accordance with
policy is a requirement of membership.  These are
not the same thing.

Can one choose one's action by the actions of others?  If one
understands those actions, yes.  But authority
to ajudicate the morals of others, that we do not have
in our persons or in the W3C.

We should not require Berners-Lee to be our conscience.
I can think of no more punishing act than to think
or act as if he should be.  Don't condemm him to be Beckett.

Megginson said such comments are pernicious.  I believe
it to be exactly the opposite:  to ask that of one man is
itself, pernicious.  And dumb.

len