RE: [xml-dev] XML Database Decision Tree?

At 11:50 AM 22/10/01 -0400, Champion, Mike wrote:
> The "XML DBMS" idea is not driven by
>marketing people any more than OODBMS or HTTP was; like most successful
>memes, it's a solution looking for a problem, and so far I've been quite
>impressed with the number of problems it latches onto.

That seems like the key issue to me.  Several times over the last
year, I've been contacted by a VC or analyst or whatever asking
what I think of some hotshot new XML repository technology.  I
always say "it's a hard problem, smart people like to work on
it... who's going to buy it?"  Because I genuinely have no
understanding of the class of programs where the XML DBMS is the
best answer.

So....... Mike, perhaps you and some of the other XDBMS purveyors
could give us some examples of the places this stuff latches onto?
 -Tim