RE: [xml-dev] Handling internal general entities with SAX

Thanks Dave.

Yes, I realize that I want to "break" the XML rules, but I feel like my
intentions are good.

We definitely fall into the "no DTD" group for our data exchange. I had
considered chaining an InputStream in before the Reader to "import" the
entity declarations. This handles the case for all of the known entities,
but not for unknown ones.

I still would like to consider an unknown entity as a warning and not an
error. I know this is contrary to the XML spec, but by the assumption of how
we are using entities, it would just be missing CDATA and would not break
the parse. In this case we would want to log the missing entity and either
suppress the entity or provide some default replacement text. This would
allow us to accept more flavors of data where a couple of unknown entities
wouldn't stop us from parsing and continuing our processing.

I've started looking into implementing my own XMLEntityHandler or
DefaultEntityHandler as used in Xerces, but there aren't a lot of specifics
that I've found on the interaction of all the different pieces. I don't even
know if implementing these classes will address my problem.

--Kurt