RE: [xml-dev] More patent funnies!

Now we have to ask if Digital Rights Management
should be a specification or standard, and if this is a
technology that the W3C should be working on.  Is DRM a
low-level technology (I would think so) or is it high
level?  IOW, would only .NET be affected or do the patents
affect a much larger percentage of the Internet users who
are involved in some way in the B2zed industry?

<rant>
Free doesn't work if any one defects.  Defections
are inevitable.  Some Pigs WANT To Be Pigs in fact,
are Pigs By Birth.  Do we all become
pigs or do we accept that perhaps the farmer was a
useful guy to have around precisely because he exacts a bacon
toll?

If I were in the W3C, I'd be looking seriously at patent
pool concepts, not to exact penurious fees, but to
protect the common interests of the members (whose
interests include their customers and that includes us)
when better options aren't available.

Otherwise, just give the web to Microsoft because that
is what we are doing now.  They will pay for bacon
in the raw, process it, package it, sell it to us
and we will serve it up on the pizza.  It may not
all be about cash but cash gets pizza or we have
to rob the delivery dude. Pigs Is Pigs.
</rant>

Here are the options so far:

1.  RF.  The best thing.  It may make privately
funded research a thing of the past or something
only BigCOs and the government do.   It won't
stop small fast pigs from getting patents.

2.  Non-RF goes into a patent pool similar to
MPEG/MHEG.  This is the rare exception used
because the technology is brilliant or because
they got the patent first, it is valid and
there are no acceptable alternatives found
after very serious efforts to find them (essentially,
this is TimBL's principle of independent
invention plus the principle of law).

To get the standard or spec, owner accepts a much lower
fee and the patent pool conditions.

3.  PAS.  Publicly available for implementation
but privately controlled definition.  (NOTE:
This is how Adobe PDF works.)  A W3C spec can cite
this but the W3C doesn't control it.  Avoid
this if at all possible but know it can be done.

4.  Drown it.  No spec or standard from the W3C
and no citation. All members will hold this
line as a condition of membership.  This option
may prove to be illegal (anti-competitive) but IANAL.

len