Re: [xml-dev] XHTML and also XML

>    Please help me by informing me if it is possible to have a "Valid" XML
> document complying
>  to multiple DTD's without having to "dump" the whole content of all the
> DTD's in a single dtd.

An XML document has a single DTD, but the DTD includes more
than just the "external subset".  For example, maybe the DTD you
want looks something like:

    <!DOCTYPE html
        PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
            "D:/work/XML/DTDs/xhtml1-strict.dtd"
    [
    <!ENTITY % bc-dtd "d:/work/XML/book.dtd">
    %bc-dtd;
    ]>

I said "more like", since I don't think the XHTML 1.0 DTDs
can be used quite that way.  Look at XHTML 1.1 instead;
it's a better setup for DTD merging.

>  Is it possible to use namespaces for validating according to DTD's as
> below?

No.  Namespace syntax is ignored by DTDs.

>  Am I misinterpreting the Validity definition by saying that "A XML document
> will be valid if
>  if all the elements in the default namespace would be logically organized
> as defined in the DTD."

Yes, you're misinterpreting. The notion of namespaces was
defined well after DTDs were defined; so DTD validation
doesn't care (or know) about namespaces.

You can use both namespaces and DTDs, but you'll not be
changing namespace prefixes.  Namespaces themselves
don't help if you're trying to merge two DTDs, but you can
use the same sorts of parameterization techniques used in
the XHTML 1.1 DTD if that's your goal.

- Dave