Re: [xml-dev] Re: determining ID-ness in XML

At 08:32 AM 30/10/01 +0700, James Clark wrote:
>The problem that xml:id is not completely solving the problem, at least as I see it.  A complete solution would allow me to declare in the instance that such and such an attribute is an ID attribute, whereas xml:id only allows me to say what the ID of an element is.

You're right.  However the Web has an honorable tradition of
succeeding by not trying to solve the whole problem.  I suggest
that "only being able to say what the ID is" constitutes a big
juicy 80/20 point.

>An alternative would be to have an attribute that declares the name of the attribute that is an ID attribute, say xml:idatt.

As the famous quote says, all hard problems in Computer Science
are solved via the addition of one level of indirection. :) -Tim