Re: [xml-dev] Re: determining ID-ness in XML

In article <015f01c16186$408451d0$f181fea9@abraham> you write:

><?xml version="1.0"?>
><!DOCTYPE doc [
>  <!ELEMENT doc EMPTY>
>]>
><doc xml:id="test"/>

>The above document is not valid.

It's certainly not valid *now*; but we could choose either to make it
valid or not.  That is, we could either say that there is an implicit
declaration for xml:id on every element [*], or say that for validity a
declaration is required.

Having an implicit declaration would not break any existing document,
since xml:id is currently reserved.

[*] or perhaps every element that doesn't already have an ID attribute.

-- Richard