From: Lorne Harwood [mailto:lorneharwood@hotmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2001 1:10 PM
To: Eric Lemond
Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: RE: [xml-dev] XML Database Decision Tree?

Eric,

How long did it take to load/index the 44.GB?

Lorne

I can give a real example of loading data into NeoCore XMS.  This was a
project one of our engineers did to prove that we could handle huge data
sets.  It's not meant as a benchmark, but to illustrate data loading
simplicity.

We got a copy of the 44.1 GB GenBank of genomics research.  We converted
the documents to XML with a small Perl script.  Each document is an
average of 200 MB in size.

Using the command:  neoxmlutils import [config dir location] [import
dir]

The resulting database footprint was 34.4 GB (<80% the size of the
original data).  You don't have to create any indexes.  With our pattern
processing technology, the database is fully indexed.

Just wanted to confirm how easy it is to load data into an XML Database.

Eric Lemond