RE: [xml-dev] Re: determining ID-ness in XML

At 10:51 AM -0500 11/5/01, Champion, Mike wrote:

>We need to figure out whether this
>discussion is aimed at persuading the W3C to change the "system vocabulary"
>to support IDs without requiring external DTDs/Schemas, or whether it is --
>in the tradition of SAX and RDDL -- aimed at producing a convention that is
>orthogonal to the W3C's Recommendions.  The former strongly suggests
>attributes, but the latter more or less demands PIs, as well as some
>"political" work to make PIs less of an endangered species.

The latter solution doesn't demand PIs. It just prevents us from
using the xml: prefix. If we wanted to be orthogonal to the W3C, then
it's easy enough to define an xid:id prefix with xid mapped to
http://xml.org/id/ or something like that. I think this has already
been suggested as a way of adding multiple IDs to things. There's no
need to get PIs involved.