RE: [xml-dev] Re: determining ID-ness in XML

[...]
> Not really.  Most applications that need references use them explicitly;
> e.g., they do something like id(@idref) in an XPath.  In SGML, ID and
> IDREF(S) were subject to the same case normalization rules, but since
> that's gone in XML, it's not an issue any more.  A validator needs to
> ensure that all IDREFs are valid, but we're only considering the case of
> non-validating parsers.

I don't follow. I was simply suggesting that if we're providing the
ability to declare unique identifiers outside of a DTD, then it seems
reasonable to be able to declare cross-references as well.

The 'XML processor' will be checking uniqueness of the identifiers, so
it'd be a snap to check that cross-references are correct as well.

L.

--
Leigh Dodds, Research Group, Ingenta | "Pluralitas non est ponenda
http://weblogs.userland.com/eclectic |    sine necessitate"