RE: [xml-dev] Re: determining ID-ness in XML

It's not just one spec, id-ness is exposed to users of XPath, XPointer,
XSLT, XLink, and DOM.  More importantly, it's a widely used feature in real
applications that use these specs, especially when an XML app is working
with a database.  I use "getElementById()" whenever I can (e.g., I control
the XHTML and can put in the necessary attributes).

I agree with Tim Bray: this is a "gaping architectural hole" because these
other specs don't require DTDs or schemas in the general case, and have to
mumble to describe what is supposed to happen if there isn't a DTD/Schema to
define id-ness. None care (at their core) about the other features that
DTD/Schema brings to the table, they just need a way to define id-ness. Not
providing an agreed-upon means of defining id-ness without a DTD/schema
doesn't force everyone to "do the right thing," it simply means that people
kludge around the problem with application-specific magic attributes or
namespaces.