Re: [xml-dev] Re: determining ID-ness in XML

> "Don't we need to be able to link to any element in an arbitrary XML
> document?"

yes but that's what xpointer is for isn't it? At that level of
generality it's hard to see how one could avoid using something like
xpointer/xpath syntax. It's for the `plain' linking to a named
identifier that the problems occur, where you want to be able to
use named identifiers in a way that works for any XML parser, and might
want to avoid having a local subset in the instance. Also as I mentioned
last time there are definite advantages in having this
named identifier mapping to the #xxx URI reference syntax.

David