RE: [xml-dev] DOM or SAX: Sense and Sensibility

Another reason seems to be the "buddy effect".  Some
people are afraid to be the first penguin in the water
because of the hungry walruses.  So they wait until
a penguin gets hungry enough to go in after fish,
and if it returns, others follow.  That story is a
cultural metaphor for companies that have badgered
their employees into "do only your job inside the
box I give you" thinking.  These types wait until
the pilot implementors or pioneers come back, then
get their code or pick their brains and do only that.

<offtopic>I see a lot of that these days as the layoff disease
spreads and the panic goes deeper.  Of course, that
kind of thinking might be said to lead to conditions
where a shrinking market share is inevitable, but
that also might be wrong.  It depends on how one
views the notion that well-focused employees are
productive employees.  Both ends of the argument
are right and not mutually exclusive depending
on conditions.  Yet, failing to know how to pick
the right API for the job, worse, failing to be aware
there are options seems to be inefficient in the
first case and not survival-oriented in the second.

It is very hard to fix a culture that is inward-facing
out of fear because the typical response is to pretend
to superiority as a means of masking the failure to
understand the situation.</offtopic>

len