Re: [xml-dev] xml declaration in DTDs and encodings

> Is it correct to start a DTD with the first line
yes.

> In my opinion it's not correct to use the xml-declaration,

> because a DTD is not xml
Since the largest part of the XML spec is in fact describing DTD syntax,
this isn't really true.

As in other XML entities, the text declaration is optional, if the
encoding is utf8 or utf16, but if another encoding is used then
you should use the text declaration to specify the encoding.

> On the other hand side if this declaration could not be used,
> how can I determine the character encoding of DTDs ?

exactly!

David