RE: [xml-dev] Caught napping!

Yup. The whole point of an XML database is *convenience* for those who are
immersed in the XML scheme of things; if you're immersed with pure abstract
"data" you probably want an RDBMS; if you're immersed in programming
objects, you probably want an OODBMS.  Most of us are probably immersed in
all of the above, and have a job to figure out which is best <grin>

> All I mean is that XML documents, being documents, are convenient.
> You can read them into Emacs and gaze at them.  I could put one
> into this very email so easily:
>
> <book>
>   <title>Data and Reality</title>
>   <author>William Kent</author>
> </book>

A more compelling example, if you don't mind my butting in, would be if you
wanted to exchange a list of various books by various authors, publishers,
etc.  A normalization of this into  authors, titles, publishers, etc. tables
would be far less intuitive to someone when opened up in emacs (if there
were a MIME type for tables!) or displayed in HTML than would  a simple
hierarchical presentation.   We're hard-wired to understand hierarchies, and
not hard-wired to do mental joins. More power to the smart people who CAN
see four tables and mentally join them into a booklist, but, ahem, good luck
selling that UI to Amazon!