Re: [xml-dev] So maybe ID isn't a problem after all.

--- Bob Hutchison <hutch@xampl.com> wrote:
> To represent these graph structures in a useful way, I've found that a
> globally unique identifier is needed. This is because, in my experience,
> some elements begin to appear in more than one document generated by the
> application. In other words graph structures rarely are, in my experience,
> confined to a single document. Something can be an ID and not satisfy the
> practical requirements for graph representation.

A URI+fragment identifier IS a globally unique identifier (assuming that the
fragment identifier points to an element named by an ID, as XPointer says). So
cross-document graphs may be represented with a URI Reference interpreted as an
XPointer Bare Name.

<snip/>

> So, I don't believe IDs are sufficient for the practical requirements of
> graph structures, and XML doesn't support any kind of application
> independent means of representing graph structures anyway.

What about XPointer?

Jim

=====
Jim Ancona