Re: [xml-dev] So maybe ID isn't a problem after all.

On Tuesday 13 November 2001 02:06 pm, John Cowan wrote:
> Gavin Thomas Nicol wrote:
> > XML itself doesn't do anything with graphs, even with ID/IDREF pairs,
> > beyond simple validation of constraints. As such I have to disagree with
> > your assertion that "Without ID's, XML can only serialize trees" and put
> > it down to FUD.
>
> *in an application-independent way*.  Of course you can define your own
> mechanism, or use XLink.

You can never, ever, serialize a graph in an application-independent way.
Where did the graph come from in the first place?

XML is data. Data without an application interpreting it is just a sequence
of bits... and angle brackets don't change that.