RE: [xml-dev] DOM or SAX: Sense and Sensibility

> Ah. I'm handling 10M documents in a typical transform in this
> case. That
> makes a significant difference in where I spend my time.  The raw
> transform currently takes less than 1 second normally

Would I be right in thinking that your transform is actually selecting a
small part of the 10M input document, and extracting that part to the result
document? In that situation, where you run many of these extractions on the
same in-memory document, the savings from not building the tree each time
should certainly be substantial. The moral is that one should avoid phrases
like "a typical transform"!

Incidentally, this use case demonstrates the high degree of overlap between
the usage scenarios for XSLT and XQuery.

Mike Kay