Re: [xml-dev] HTML Table Validator ?

Stettner Michael wrote:

> in our xml documents we use tables according to the HTML table model. (like
> in the sample below)
>
> Here we have problems with "logical incorrect tables"
> This means these documents are XML correct (they parse succesfully) but they
> are not displayable - or look strange
> because e.g. rowspan or colspan attributes are set incorrect.

I don't know of anything for HTML, but OmniMark (or Exoterica as they were then
known) released a really great include file that checked every aspect of CALS
tables. If your tables are CALS upstream, perhaps you could check them there, or
it might even be worth doing an HTML2CALS translation on the tables and then
apply the checker. I have a copy of the include - if anyone's interested, mail
me privately.

> In our case this leads to problems if we try to generate MIF files from
> these documents.

There would be code to go from CALS to MIF as well, if the problems are serious
enough for you to really want to mangle and circumvent your current approach. Or
you could use FrameMaker+SGML to import the CALS tables and export MIF.

> Happy about any hint

You didn't say that they had to be right on the money - in this case, that's
probably a good thing...

--
Regards,

Marcus Carr                      email:  mrc@allette.com.au