RE: [xml-dev] Re: determining ID-ness in XML

How about

5) Refactor the various specs so that they layer cleanly, and add some sort
of "features" or "profile" string (in the XML declaration?  As a PI?
namespace URI pointing to a RDDL document?) to negotiate the feature set
between the processor and the application.

I know this is easier said than done, but seems like the right conceptual
solution to me.