Re: [xml-dev] XSLT Preserve Space in Attributes

On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 12:38:50PM +0100, Lyndon J B Nixon wrote:
> At 17:51 21.11.2001 +0000, you wrote:
> >>is it possible to preserve space in attribute values when passing them to
> >>a XSLT processor?
> >>

> >>Attribute values are normalized according to XML rules before the XSLT
> >>processor gets to see them. This means newlines are converted to spaces.
>
> Is there any means to override this in the XML parser? I also figure that
> after the conversion process there is no means to 'recover' the newlines
> that were stripped.

  No, it's a *mandatory* treatment for all attributes passed through an
XML parser. You're asking to deviate from the standard, not a good idea IMHO

> Oh dear! If anyone has any ideas how to get around this problem, I'd be
> pleased to hear it.

  The best way to avoid those problems is to read the specs before
designing a solution, it can't help now, it would sure help in the
future.

Daniel