Re: [xml-dev] XML Buzzwords. RFC

>I just feel that there is now more XML APIs than I can
>keep track of,  so I want it all to go into one place ;-)
>Kinda pragmatic thing. CPAN is pragmatic.

There is an article that just floated through my inbox about OASIS
work that is at least related (see below).  I would rather not have
to be an OASIS member to get my buzzwords registered, and besides,
your database would probably have more than one entry pointing to one
of theirs :-).

Joel
XML Specifications
Where are the standards?
by Rich Seeley

The rapid and unchecked proliferation of XML-related
standards for a variety of specialized and vertical market
applications is becoming a headache not only for developers
and software vendors, but also for standards advocacy groups.

Outside a select group of metadata analysts and XML gurus,
who knows how many standards are in the works and which are
unique and which overlap? The Websites for various standards
bodies are like the proverbial blind men washing the pachyderm.
Each one has detailed information on one part of the beast,
but few if any have a concept of the whole elephant.

An attempt to remedy this situation will be made at the
Interoperability Summit in Orlando, Florida, scheduled for
Dec. 6 and 7. On the agenda of the meeting, sponsored by
standards bodies including HR-XML, OASIS, OMG, UN/CEFACT,
and XBRL.org, are plans for creating a Standards Metadata
Registry. If it were successful, the registry would be a
place "where common metadata can be stored for standards
efforts, promoting interoperability of specifications across
different consortia," organizers say.

"A Standards Metadata Registry will allow groups to publicize
their specifications and discover what other organizations are
doing," according to Karl Best, director of technical operations
for the Boston-based OASIS standards consortium. "This will
lead to better communication between the various standards
bodies, resulting in less overlap of efforts and
interoperability of completed work."

For more information: http://www.omg.org/interop/.