   Re: [xml-dev] Where have the element types gone?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric van der Vlist" <vdv@dyomedea.com>
To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2001 6:47 AM
Subject: [xml-dev] Where have the element types gone?

> What does this mean for an application processing such a document? That
> the application, to be as generic as possible should ignore the element
> type to determine its behavior depending on the schema. Which means that
> these applications are unable to process the documents without a schema.

I was following your argument until I got to the above paragraph. If by
process you mean validate then this applies to documents without a DTD as
well since the element type declaration exists in the DTD. If you aren't
talking about validation then I don't see why needing the schema is
necessary for processing the document in some other manner. Or are you
refering to documents that have both a DTD and a schema?

Can you please clarify?

Thanks.

--
THINGS TO DO IF I BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD #61

If my advisors ask "Why are you risking everything on such a mad scheme?",
I will not proceed until I have a response that satisfies them.