   Re: [xml-dev] Where have the element types gone?

Ronald Bourret wrote:

> Eric van der Vlist wrote:
>
>>and determining that the content of <isbn> is a isbn number as defined
>>by the namespace prefixed as "pub" requires to process the schema.
>>

> Not true.
>
> 1) Before we had namespaces, you made an assumption about the data type
> of the element based on its name, which might not have been universal.
>
> 2) After we had namespaces, and you chose to use them, you made an
> assumption about the data type of the element based on its name, which
> was "guaranteed" to be universal.
>
> 3) After we had schemas (and simple and complex types), you can still do
> (1) -- which is what you have done here -- or (2). You also have the
> additional ability to query the data type at run time if the schema is
> available.

Yes, I was just complaining that people were usinf (3) without
considering using (2) in cases where (3) doesn't bring added value. More
precisely in this case, if you are using (3) you can't use (2) -since
the namespace which is used is different- any longer and your alternate
solution is (1).

> Each step gives you more options, but doesn't take away any of the
> previous options.

No, but a general usage of one of the options kind of deprecates the others.

XML is like a more or less stable scaffolding. You are always taking
more risk if you stand on the higher stages and may want to consider
staying in the lower stages when you can :)

> BTW, in my opinion (this really isn't meant to be flame bait, but I
> suppose it will be anyway), defining element types without using
> namespaces is a bad idea for the long term. Your XML might be isolated
> now, but there is no guarantee that you or somebody unknown to you might
> want to reuse your XML at some point in the future, making universal
> names a very useful thing.

I fully agree.

Eric

--