   Re: [xml-dev] Nasty XPath expressions

| There are two Java implementations that I know of, that provide some kind of
| reasonable interface for querying a DOM tree using XPath in a standalone
| application (Xalan and Jaxen), and only Jaxen provides a full, useable
| interface.

Oracle's XML Parser also provides an XPath engine that's
woven into our DOM implementation. Using it is as easy as:

   yourNode.selectNodes("Your/Favorite[XPath=Here]");
   yourNode.selectSingleNode("Your/Favorite[XPath=Here]");
   yourNode.valueOf("Your/Favorite[XPath=Here]");

We find most of our Oracle XDK customers avoid DOM programming
and just use these three methods to work with their documents
due to their greatly improved ease of use. Our users haven't
asked for any more functionality than what they can get
with these three simple methods. Each one also has an overloading
that takes an NSResolver interface if your XPath pattern includes
qualified names that need to be resolved.

Oracle XDK for Java is fast, free, supported, and downloadable at:

  http://otn.oracle.com/tech/xml/xdk_java

Have fun.

Steve Muench - Developer, Product Manager, XML Evangelist, Author
"Simplifying J2EE and EJB Development with BC4J"
http://otn.oracle.com/products/jdev/htdocs/j2ee_with_bc4j/j2ee_with_bc4j.html
"Building Oracle XML Applications" - www.oreilly.com/catalog/orxmlapp